In training as in life, sometimes we need the help and support of friends / family, even complete strangers. I follow a number of blogs, but one stands out for me, Short Runner. Elizabeth has found balance in her life, with a great family, strong beliefs and a desire to get out there and run. But this post is about much more.
There’s one area, where I’m completely at a loss, nutrition – and that’s why I’ve called upon Elizabeth at Short Runner to share a rounded meal idea for all types of runners, from beginners through to the pro’s.
Mandarin Orange Salad w/Dressing
- 1 Medium head Romaine Lettuce
- 1-1 1/2 cups mandarin oranges in water (drain water)
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup EVOO
- 1/2 cup OJ (2 medium oranges)
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Honey to taste
Combine main ingredients and set aside. Combine dressing ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve. Drizzle dressing on salad, don’t add a lot.
Sweet Potato Mash
- Peel 2 (or more) sweet potatoes.
- Cut into medium sized pieces.
- Boil medium to large pot of water (depending on how much you are making)
- Add potatoes and boil for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- Put in food processor. Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and honey to taste. The herbs are very strong so do not add more than 1/8 teaspoon if only making 2 sweet potatoes.
- Blend until very smooth.
- Dry roast macadamia nuts,in small skillet, until lightly brown. Sprinkle with a little salt and toss. Add to top of potatoes for a nutty crunch!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Chicken
- Mix 1/3 cup EVOO and 1/4 cup red wine vinegar.
- Put in zip-lock bag or other container.
- Add 2 thawed medium sized chicken breast. Turn chicken to coat. Sprinkle seasoning like, Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, to top and bottom of chicken. Let marinade for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Bake according to instructions on bag of chicken.
Feeling adventurous? Why not try Elizabeth’s delicious Honey & Banana Dessert!
Do you have a secret recipe? Or favourite snack, add it to the comments below & lets share the love…